Use Google Search Operators to find the people you're looking for

When I’m generating leads in dashdash using the Google Custom Search integration and the SEARCH_LINKEDIN_PERSON_GOOGLE function, I’m mostly searching for people by their function/role and organization. However, sometimes I need to look for people with a certain profile in a specific location (f.ex. HR Manager Berlin); or people with a certain profile responsible for a certain location (f.ex. Country Manager UK & Ireland). Just doing a broad search of “HR Manager Berlin”, however, rarely delivers the results I want. That’s where Google search operators come in handy. :nerd_face:

What are search engine operators? :thinking:

Google search operators are special characters and commands that extend the capabilities of regular text searches. They are useful from content research to technical SEO audits.
(source: Moz)

So now the question is: Which search operators lead to the most relevant search results for my use case?

In my research, I’ve considered the following use cases:

1. Find people with a specific profile at a certain company in a certain location (f.ex. Office manager profiles at PwC in Frankfurt, Germany)

2. Find people with a specific profile in a certain location (f.ex. HR Manager Berlin)

3. Find people with a specific profile responsible for a certain location (f.ex. Retail Director UK; Country Manager UK & Ireland)

4. Find people with a specific profile at a certain company (VP of Sales at Airbnb or “Content Marketing Manager” at N26)

Below is a list of advanced operators that led me to the best search results, ordered by use case. To test an operator for your use case, simply plug it into the dashdash function, like so:

=SEARCH_LINKEDIN_PERSON_GOOGLE("HR Manager Berlin inurl:linkedin.com")

Operator combinations that lead to the most relevant search results

Use Case 1: Find people with a specific profile at a certain company in a certain location (f.ex. Office manager profiles at PwC in Frankfurt, Germany)

OR Operator, Localized Domain

site:de.linkedin.com (Assistentin OR Assistenz OR Partnerassistenz) PwC Frankfurt

Use Case 2: Find people with a specific profile in a certain location (f.ex. HR Manager Berlin)

OR Operator, Localized Domain

site:de.linkedin.com (HR Manager OR Head of HR OR Head of People OR Personalleiter) Berlin

AND

Inurl Operator, Non-localized Domain

HR Manager Berlin inurl:linkedin.com

Use Case 3: Find people with a specific profile responsible for a certain location (f.ex. Retail Director UK; Country Manager UK & Ireland)

Allintitle Operator with Exact Phrase Match, Non-localized Domain

allintitle: "Retail Director UK" site:linkedin.com

AND

Exact Phrase Match, Localized Domain

site:uk.linkedin.com "Retail Director UK"

Use Case 4: Find people with a specific profile at a certain company

a) I want to find profiles with the specific title “Head of Sales” at Airbnb (that is, I do not deem VP of Sales or Director of Sales as relevant).

:ok_hand:Note: As soon as you’re on the lookout for the exact title, you should try the Exact Phrase Match Operator:

Allintitle Operator with Exact Phrase Match, Non-localized Domain

allintitle: "Head of Sales Airbnb" site:linkedin.com

AND

Exact Phrase Match, Non-localized Domain

site:linkedin.com "Head of Sales Airbnb"

b) I want to find profiles with a set of potential titles (“Marketing Manager”; “Content Strategist”; “Content Creator”, “Content Marketing Manager”) at Intercom.

:ok_hand:Note: As soon as you’re dealing with a “fuzzy search”, i.e. looking at more than one potential title, you should try the OR operator.

OR Operator, Exact Phrase Match, Non-localized Domain

site:linkedin.com ("Marketing Manager" OR "Content Marketing Manager" OR "Content Strategist" OR "Content Creator") Intercom

AND

OR Operator (fuzzy search), Allintitle Operator with Exact Phrase Match, Non-localized Domain

allintitle: ("Marketing Manager" OR "Content Marketing Manager" OR "Content Strategist" OR "Content Creator") Intercom site:linkedin.com

c) I want to find profiles with the “Operations” function at Segment.

:ok_hand:Note: When you’re dealing with a rather broad function at a company, the intitle:linkedin.com and inurl:linkedin.com operators seem to result in the best hits.

Intitle Operator (LinkedIn)

Operations Segment intitle:linkedin

AND

Inurl Operator, Non-localized Domain

Operations Segment inurl:linkedin.com

Thanks to those search engine operators, you can narrow down the results and find the people you’re really looking for. Give it a try! :raised_hands::v:

1 Like