Is it possible to Hide a column?

Hi dashdash community! :wave:

I spoke with @hadyelhady last week and was really impressed with the capabilities and potential of the platform.

I’m currently making my way through the tutorials at the moment (which are excellent, btw!) but I have one question following on from Tutorial 4, “Share your Spreadsheet”

I was wondering if it’s possible to hide columns in a sheet - it would be particularly useful for this use case, as the visitor to the web app really doesn’t need to see the Get Price column.

I saw that @cwinhall had requested something similar in the past, but I’m just not sure whether or not it’s actually available.

Just to have a reference, this is the equivalent option in Sheets:

Thanks,
Domhnall

Hi @domhnall,

Thanks for the question!

We do not have the “Hide column” functionality just yet. It is already on our roadmap and we hope to ship it in the coming couple of months.

In the meantime, you “hide” the {data} cell by encapsulating it within the Price formula. Here is how.

Currently, you should have:

C2: =IF(B2=“GET DATA”,STOCK_ALPHAVANTAGE(A2),“Press Button”)
D2: = IFERROR(PARSE(C2,"[‘Global Quote’].[‘03. high’]"),"")

All you have to do is combine them into one cell:

C2: IF(B2=“GET DATA”,PARSE(STOCK_ALPHAVANTAGE(A2),"[‘Global Quote’].[‘03. high’]"),“Press Button”)

This way, when the button is clicked, C2 gets the data from the Alpha vantage integration and gets the stock price in the same step.

This should do the trick. Let me know if it helps :muscle:

Thanks,
Henrique

2 Likes

Thanks a million @henrique - this is an ideal workaround for now!

I don’t want to be nosey or anything, (and sorry for the off-topic question) but is this an external or an internal roadmap?

Thanks!

Internal, at least for now :slight_smile:

In essence, we’re working and will continue to work on several spreadsheet parity functionalities (filter, sort, hide, add/remove cols/rows), sharing and publishing, a revamp of the performance of the platform and several new integrations (Twitter, Airtable, Social media, etc)

We don’t have it opened to the public but would be happy to hear your thoughts and how we could make it better for you!

1 Like

Makes sense, great to hear!

Awesome :+1:

It took me about 30 mins yesterday to figure out how to connect to Airtable, which was ok, but in comparison to your Slack integration and having integration-specific functions would definitely take this to the next level!

1 Like